This week was the third Friday of Lent which means either a vegetarian or fish dinner for this family. Can I just say that it can be a challenge to eat Keto during Lent? Every lunch place has a Lenten option but all the options are breaded and deep-fried. Last year, it was not a problem. In fact, it was a treat to indulge in that fried fish platter with fries and hush puppies. Oh and don’t forget about the obligatory coleslaw…which made the meal, somewhat, healthy? I digress. The days of fish fries, mac and cheese, amd tuna noodle casserole (my personal favorite) are no more. We are opening ourselves up to new Lenten recipes. This week we tried, Cheesy Zucchini Tuna Bake.
My youngest twins, The Littles, tried it and loved it. The boys were not at all interested but I’m not ready to fold yet. I will win them over one of these days! For now, I will find satisfaction in the fact that two of the four were fans.
- 3 medium zucchini sliced lengthwise and grilled (about 1/2" thick)
- 2 (5 oz) cans tuna
- 1 1/2 tbsp. almond flour
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 2 tbsp. Kerrygold butter
- 1/4-1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a deep (8x6 inch) baking dish
- In a medium bowl mix together, tuna, bread crumbs, mozzarella, egg, Parmesan, olive oil, salt and parsley.
- Line the baking dish to cover the bottom with grilled zucchini top with 1/3 tuna mixture and pour half the white sauce on top, cover with another layer of grilled zucchini, 1/3 tuna mixture and remaining half of the white sauce, cover with remaining grilled zucchini, tuna mixture and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan, bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, let sit 5 minutes and serve.
- In a small pot on medium heat add the butter until melted, add xanthan gum and salt and whisk to combine, add heavy cream and chicken stock and continue whisking until thickened. Remove from heat.
Calories 546 Fat 44 Protein 31 Carb 9
Source: An Italian In My Kitchen