School is in session and boy is it crazy around here! My oldest two boys just started Kindergarten and my almost four-year olds are in Pre-K. Time is flying and where did the summer go?! Speaking of summer, I have been working on getting a good, low-carb donut recipe. My hometown has the best donut spot, Tom’s Donuts. Everyone I know thinks they have the best donut shop but really….Tom’s is the BEST!! We always go and get some for the kids when we are up at our family’s lake house. Truth be told, it is the one thing that I have the hardest time resisting. Now I don’t have to rely simply on will power…the inaugral donut recipe is coming at you, below. My wife’s favorite donuts are apple fritters and sour cream donuts, so I decided to work on the sour cream donut first.
These are fantastic! I had the kids try them and they were big fans! They inhaled the first donut and begged for another for dessert and then again for breakfast the next morning. Honestly folks, these kids are picky and I don’t get victories like these often. I will take them where I can get them. If I can give them something low-carb and sugar-free for breakfast or dessert and they don’t press us for the sugar-laden version… I will call it a W!
P.S. Don’t let Hudson’s face fool you…he devoured that donut! LOL
I’ve tried my hand at putting together a video for this recipe. If people like them, I will try to do more. Please post your candid comments below. I was a little nervous about it but hope that you find it helpful.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup Swerve (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/8 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 5 tbsp. powdered Swerve
- 1 tsp almond extract (or extract to your taste)
- You can use a donut pan for use in the oven or a mini donut maker. If using the pan, preheat the oven to 350F. If using the donut maker, plug in and fully preheat.
- In a stand mixer, combine the sour cream, heavy cream, eggs, olive oil, and vanilla extract. Stir to incorporate all ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the mixer until fully combined.
- Transfer the batter to a ziplock bag. Snip a small whole in the corner of the bag. You now have a piping bag. Pipe the batter into the donut molds.
- If using the oven, bake for 15 minutes. If utilizing the donut maker, bake according to the directions on the machine. My machine (shown below) bakes for 4 minutes.
- Allow the donuts to cool completely before glazing them.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the powdered sweetener, heavy cream, and extract. Allow the glaze to cool slightly and thicken before dipping the donuts.
Calories 51 Fat 5 Protein 1 Carbs 3
Inspired by: Sugar Free Mom