I’m not sure why but every once in a while I get a craving for something out of the norm. I was buying some cookies at Paradise Bakery…relax I was taking them to a customer….and got a craving for an oatmeal raisin cookie. Houston we have a problem! I knew that I couldn’t have high carb oatmeal or super high carb raisins. What is left? I started searching on Pinterest and Googling low carb oatmeal cookies. The results were far and few between and none really sounded like they would hit my high expectation or satisfy my craving. What was I to do? Well, I took the chocolate chip cookie cup recipe that I knew was terrific and tweaked it and reinvented it.
Voila! The oatmeal cookie cup was born. I took out the chocolate chips and added cinnamon, a little nutmeg, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and pecans. There is no oatmeal. There are no raisins. These cookies give you the bite and comforting flavors of an oatmeal cookie without jeopardizing your carb count for the day!
I told you in a previous post that I had some great friends and family that want to start a keto lifestyle. One of my friends loves all things BANANA. As we know, bananas are a no-no. They are full of deliciousness but also full of natural sugar. I had tried a couple of poke cakes recipes but wasn’t entirely happy with the results. The part that I did love was the banana custard that layered the top of those cakes. It hit me that these oatmeal cookies were the perfect accompaniment/vehicle for the banana custard! These two desserts are a match made in heaven.
The takeaway is to use your imagination. You can find adaptations for most recipes online. If not, then take what you know, the help of others, and recipes already in your repertoire and reimage them. If that doesn’t work then message me! I love a challenge and I love that this has become my creative outlet. Together, I am confident that we can find something that will satisfy your craving and help you stay on the program.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup Sukrin Gold
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp molasses (optional, for color and flavor)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ chopped pecans
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp banana extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin powder
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp. hot water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter a mini muffin pan with 24 cavities.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Swerve, Sukrin, coconut flour, baking powder cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a mixer, combine the melted butter, egg, molasses, and vanilla extract. Slowly add in 1/3 of the dry ingredients and let combine. Continue to add in the dry ingredients 1/3 at a time until it has all been incorporated. Finally, add the chia seeds, hemp seeds, and chopped pecans until just mixed.
- Use a small scoop to portion the dough. Roll each portion into balls a place into the cavities of mini muffin pan (approximately 24). Press into bottom and up sides of mini muffin cavities to create a cup. Bake 12-13 minutes, until they are golden brown. Remove from oven and press cups back into shape with the handle of a wooden spoon. Let cool 15 minutes, then gently loosen from pan with a sharp knife. Let cool completely.
- Heat the heavy cream and sweetener in a sauce pan over medium heat and bring to just a simmer. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and egg yolk. Slowly stir in about ½ cup of the hot cream mixture, whisking constantly. Then slowly whisk egg mixture back into hot cream mixture.
- Cook another 4-5 minutes, whisking continuously, until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and whisk in banana and vanilla extract. Sprinkle surface with xanthan gum and whisk briskly to combine.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water in a small bowl to soften. Add hot water and stir until fully dissolved. Refrigerate until consistency is like that of an unbeaten egg white (10-15 minutes.)
- In a stand mixer, whip cream, sweetener, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Whip in the smoothed gelatin mixture, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl twice. Whip until stiff peaks form but do not over beat.
Calories 138 Fat 12 Protein 4 Carbs 4
Inspired by: All Day I Dream About Food