It is casserole season people! With the holidays upon us, we are all scrambling to find a substitute for the ‘ole standard Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup. You know the one, “Mmmmm Good!”
Cream of mushroom soup has also been one of many ingredients in a dish, for me. I have never wanted to eat it as a stand alone meal. This homemade version is so good that it could be a meal in itself. It really is delicious and has so much more flavor that the soup in the can. In fact, forget the green bean casserole and just bring this soup. No one will miss the beans!
I was making this soup as tonight and my daughter, McKenzie, asked to try it. She is going to be four on Thursday….time flies…but I digress. She tasted it, walked away, and circled the island for another taste. Haha! You know it is Mmmmm Good when a four year old makes a U-turn for another spoonful.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup. Gluten-free, Keto Adapted. This soup is so delicious. You will never miss the canned soup...ever.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter (I like Kerry Gold.)
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1 (6.5 oz) can sliced mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups chicken stock (Try this one)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter and saute the onion and celery over medium heat until tender but not browned.
- Stir in the chopped mushrooms and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes. Add the stock and let it come to a boil. (For a deeper mushroom flavor, add the liquid from the mushrooms jar to the stock.)
- Slowly add the xanthan gum whisking aggressively to completely dissolve in mixture. The soup will begin to thicken. Add the heavy cream and let it warm through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Calories 289 Fat 28 Protein 3 Carbs 6