I love Keto food. I do, I really do. What I sometimes miss is the crunch factor. Does this hit home for anyone else? I think I have found the solution. I was trolling through Facebook and came across a casserole recipe that I thought was interesting. Full disclosure, the casserole was not my favorite. The gem gleaned from this recipe was the crumb topping.
Some people like to use crushed pork rinds. I am not a huge fan of the rinds. That said, I do like them on top of a casserole… the first time it is served. My problem with pork rinds is that they get super mushy when you reheat the dish. Yuck! No Bueno. Once crumbled, keep this crumb topping in a resealable bag and just add it portion by portion. That way you never get a soggy topping.
I also like to score the finished topping with a pizza wheel and make crackers, rather than crumbling it. These crackers are so versatile. Just add a little Italian seasoning or dill and you have a completely different taste profile. I like to serve these crackers with my Spinach Bacon dip.
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp Kerry Gold butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and coconut flour. Mix well. Stir in the melted butter.
- Spread the mixture out on the parchment, forming a thin rectangle shape.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, watching to ensure it doesn't get too dark. It will crisp as it cools.
Calories 56 Fat 5 Protein 3 Carbs 1
Inspired by: Splendid Low-Carbing