The Zubers, Frasers (my sister Allison and her kids), and Grammy Linda took a weekend trip up to our hometown of Angola, IN this weekend. We were really in need of some snow to play in and Mother Nature was kind enough to oblige. First on the agenda, tobogganing at Pokagon State Park. For those that have not been, check out the park’s live cam to see what all the fuss is about. This guy was feeling extremely nostalgic being back in my old stomping grounds. I worked at Pokagon all through high school and into my college years. I started my illustrious career cleaning campground restrooms on the Pokagon 17 night crew. After a couple of summers, I worked my way up to more prestigious jobs within the park like lifeguarding and working at the toboggan. I truly enjoyed my time working at the park and was flooded with great memories of amazing times and tremendous friends.
Fun seeker beware: Tobogganing isn’t all fun and games…it is also a hard-core workout!! The toboggans are heavy and you need to carry them about a 1/4 mile up hill and then up several flights of stairs. Am I complaining? NO! It was good exercise and burned some extra calories…bonus!
After all that work…I mean fun…what sounds good to a bunch of kids? Pizza. There are a bunch of great pizza options in Angola (A-town’s Pizza King is the best!) but pizza can be a bit messy without crust to hold everything together. That’s why I want to share a great pizza crust recipe with you. We make these crusts in bulk and then freeze them for a later date. The very best part of this crust is that it is Hudson approved. Hudson is one of our bigs (we call the older twins the bigs and the younger twins the littles) and he is the picky eater of the family. It was a personal victory when I made him this pizza and not only did he gulp it up but he asked for seconds. You know it is the real deal if Hudson likes it enough to want more!!
- 1 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- pizza seasoning (I like Penzey's spices.)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a microwavable mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg, salt, pizza seasoning, and almond flour to the cheese and mix gently.
- Divide dough into four parts to make individual size pizzas. Place each part in between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll into circular pizza shapes. Place pizza on baking sheet lined with parchment or a silpat.
- Mark the crust with a fork all over to ensure it cooks evenly and does not bubble.
- Place the pizza in preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until brown.
- To make it really crispy and sturdy, flip the pizza over once the top has baked to a golden color.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and add your desired toppings. Place under the broiler just until cheese melts, approximately 2-3 minutes.
Calories 154 Fat 12 Protein 8 Carbs 4
Source: Ditch the Carbs