Your kids will fall all over themselves for these bagel dogs. Who am I kidding…you will fall all over yourself for this childhood favorite. I know that my kids love all things bagel or pretzel. One of their favorite treats is to go to Auntie Anne’s in the mall. We don’t do it often but sometimes you need to reward good behavior when shoe shopping with four little ones. Reward/bribe/hold hostage…you know where I’m going with this one. These bagel dogs are very much like the pretzel dogs at Auntie Anne’s so it was not a stretch that the kids would recognize them and love them!
This recipe is really very simple. It is just another amazing take on the Fat Head dough; this time encasing a delicious all-beef hot dog. The recipe results in four hotdogs buy I typically make several batches when I make them. You can also change around the topping on each batch. Think about your favorite bagel store – the possibilities are endless – onion, everything, Asiago, cheddar, six cheese, poppy-seed, sesame, etc. They freeze and reheat really well so might as well make a lot.
- 4 kosher hot dogs
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup almond flour (I prefer Wellbee's Super Fine)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp pretzel or kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a mixing bowl and microwave for 90 seconds. Sir the mixture to combine. Ensure that the cheese is completely melted.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond meal, 1 egg, and xanthan gum. Mix well.
- Add the hot cheese to the almond flour mixture and work them into a dough. Slightly dampen your hands and knead the dough in the bowl until completely combined.
- Separate the dough into 4 equal portions and roll into a ball. Place on parchment or a silpat. Gently roll each ball out to a 15" rope. Note: Having damp hands will help with the dough sticking.
- Wrap each piece of dough around each hot dog.
- Beat remaining egg in a small bowl to make the egg wash. Brush onto each hot dog.
- Mix all the Everything Spices in a bowl and roll the hot dogs in the mix to coat.
- Place the dogs on the lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, the dough should be slightly golden.
Calories 469 Fat 38 Protein 24 Carbs 9
NOTE: You can reduce the carb count by coating the dogs in cheese rather than the seeds.
Source: The Primitive Palate