This is by far my new favorite side dish and it is perfect for Thanksgiving. It is very much the Keto version of the classic broccoli cheese rice casserole, likely found at many an Indiana Thanksgiving table. The, aforementioned classic recipe, was full of processed cheese and canned soups. This version is made of “real” food and you can really taste the difference. It was always one of my favorite accompaniments on Turkey Day…this version might be even better.
We will be heading to Thanksgiving with my wife’s family this year. Her family always has a good time together. There will be lots of family; aunts, uncles, cousins, babies, and the matriarch of the family, Grandma Betty. We will eat some great food and then head out to the pasture to shoot some guns and blow stuff up. Something to be thankful for.
Let me know if you try it out and how your family likes it. Happy Thanksgiving!
This is hands down my favorite side dish. Perfect for the holiday table!
- 2 1/2 lb fresh broccoli or 2 bags frozen broccoli florets
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 ½ cup finely chopped button mushrooms
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp Kerry Gold butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and coconut flour. Mix well. Stir in the melted butter.
- Spread the mixture out on the parchment, forming a thin rectangle shape.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, watching to ensure it doesn't get too dark. It will crisp as it cools.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Grease a casserole dish.
- If using fresh broccoli, boil for about 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. If using frozen, cook for 5-6 minutes to thaw the broccoli. Once cooked, place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large saute pan, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and onions and saute until soft, stirring occasionally. Transfer mushrooms and onions to the broccoli bowl.
- In the same saucepan, melt 4 tbsp of butter. Whisk in the xanthan gum until completely incorporated. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and chicken stock. Simmer until it thickens. Remove from heat and add the sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables. Add the cheddar cheese, egg, and half of the crumb topping. Stir to combine. Transfer to the greased casserole dish.
- Top the casserole with the reserved ½ cup cheddar cheese and bake for 45 minutes. Top the casserole with the remaining crumb topping before serving.
Calories261 Fat 20 Protein 6 Carbs 6
Inspired by: Kristine’s Kitchen Blog