I told you that I would give you the ups and the downs when I started this blog. I have hit a plateau…a big one. The plan is to get my ketones UP and my weight DOWN. At the core of the plan….the basics. What does that mean for me?
Eat more FAT….track every carb (I need to stay under 30/day)….take my blood sugar & ketones throughout the day
Here’s what a “basics day” looks like for me:
Morning – Bulletproof Coffee (1 tbsp. Kerrygold butter, 1 tbsp. coconut oil, 1 tbsp. heavy cream, 2 Splenda packets)
Lunch – 4 oz protein & a vegetable with butter or a side salad with dressing
Dinner – 4 oz protein & vegetable with oil and/or butter or a salad with protein and dressing.
Snack: I may or may not have a snack. If I do, it is typically a cup of coffee with heavy cream or some macadamia nuts.
**Side note: macadamia nuts are my personal drug of choice. They are salty, a little sweet and all around delectable.
So far, so good. Last night we had roasted turkey breast, broccoli with butter, and some of this delish cauliflower mac & cheese. What I like most about this recipe is that you can switch it up. I like to add bacon to mine but have used different things that I’ve had on hand, like chorizo and green chilis or ham!
This is definitely a staple side dish in our house and is great to take to pitch ins and family dinners. Enjoy!
- 1 head fresh cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, cubed (about 5 tbsp)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- cooking spray for the baking dish
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 slices crisp bacon
- 1/2 cup browned chorizo & 2 tbsp. green chilis
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with salt. Carefully drop the cauliflower into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly, and place the florets on paper towels to soak up any remaining moisture. Put the cauliflower in a large bowl and set aside.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the cream cheese until incorporated. Add the cheddar cheese, mozzarela, crisp bacon at this point.
- Remove the cheese sauce from heat and pour over the cauliflower. Stir to coat the florets evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and the pepper.
- Spray an 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the pan. Top with the parmesan cheese.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories 261 Fat 22 Protein 10 Carbs 8